Call Us Now 0800 470 2009

Criminal Injury Compensation

If you have been a victim of violent crime or abuse you can claim criminal injury compensation. You can claim from the Criminal Injury Compensation Authority (CICA).

The CICA deals with compensation claims from people who have been physically or mentally injured. This is because they were the blameless victim of a violent crime in England, Scotland or Wales. The CICA is an executive agency, sponsored by the Ministry of Justice

Apply for Criminal Injury Compensation

You can apply for criminal injury compensation if you were injured within the last 2 years. You can also apply for criminal injury compensation if you have been the victim of abuse.


The rules of the Scheme and the value of the payments awarded are set by Parliament and are calculated by reference to a tariff of injuries.

  • You must have reported the matter to the police
  • You must have a crime reference number.
  • You must co-operate with the police.
  • You must have sought medical treatment.
  • You must not have caused or contributed to the violent crime.

If you have a criminal record your claim may be rejected or reduced.


What payments are available from the Scheme?

The CICA will consider criminal injury claim compensation for the following:

  • mental or physical injury following a crime of violence;
  • sexual or physical abuse;
  • loss of earnings ;
  • special expenses payments;
  • a death caused by a crime of violence.

Not all claims for compensation will be successful; you must be eligible under the rules of the Scheme

Why use a Solicitor for a criminal injury compensation claim

We understand that you can never be fully compensated for an act of violence. We recognise your suffering and can help you make an application for financial support that may help you move on. criminal injury compensation

CICA compensation awards range from £1000 up to £500,000.

You do not have to use a solicitor to make a claim for criminal injury compensation. However, we can help you maximise the award of compensation.

In our experience the awards offered by the CICA are low.

They select the lower tariff for the injury suffered. By using the appeals procedure we can maximise the compensation you obtain.

We have also found that obtaining criminal injury compensation for care or lost earnings is very difficult without using a solicitor to present the evidence.

Often the CICA will award compensation on the basis of your treating doctors report. Our highest awards have been obtained by using independent evidence and getting treatment for the injured victim.


Diane was attacked in her shop by masked raiders. She was no longer able to work alone. Shehad to close her business. Fearful to leave the house was unable to work. She could not be left alone for long periods. She was initially offered £1,000. At a Tribunal Appeal she was awarded £120,000 to cover her injury, lost earnings & care.

Kelly suffered severe domestic violence at the hands of her husband for 4 years. She suffered physical and psychological injuries. The CICA initial decision was a refusal of the claim. We sought a to review decision which was also refused. We took the matter to a Tribunal Appeal and was awarded £8,200.00 for a pattern of severe abuse for over 3 years.

Wayne was subjected to an unprovoked attack by three males whilst on the tube. He suffered a broken nose, soft tissue injuries to head and face, depression and social anxiety. His initial award was £2,100.00. We sought a review and he was awarded £21,800.00. This was for fractured nose requiring manipulation and disabling mental illness lasting 2-5 years. The award also included £10,000 lump sum for loss of working opportunity and £3000 for future CBT treatment.

We will make the application, suitably assess the award made and challenge decisions made by the CICA, where appropriate.

Don’t be one of the many thousands of claims refused by the CICA each year due to inadequate preparation.

Call us in confidence to discuss your claim on 0845 676 9228 or contact us here.

    Request a Call Back

    Fill in your details and one of our specialists will contact you